Frequently Asked Questions
How old must my child be to register for school this coming year?
- All children must be 5 years of age on or before December 31, 2017. Proof of age must be shown at the school before your child may attend. A Birth Certificate or Passport is required. Proof of primary residence, such as a recent utility bill, is also required.
Why is registration held so early?
- Registration is conducted at this time because schools need accurate registration information to ensure appropriate resources are in schools by September.
How do I register my child?
The school will need:
- a completed registration form
- proof of age and legal name (as listed on birth certificate, passport, immigration papers, legal name change certificate or adoption documents)
- proof of residency (current utility bill, lease agreement, etc.)
- your child's Nova Scotia Health Card (MSI) or proof of health insurance (International/Immigrant student)
How do I know which school my child should attend?
- To confirm which school your child should attend, try our Home Address Lookup.
Where can I find more information on my child's school?
- You can access the School Finder tool located under the "About our Schools" link on the top of our home page.
- Click on "Learn More" and then select the school name under the "All Schools" banner.
- Additional information is also available by choosing: About the Board, scrolling down and clicking "School Administration" under Departments.
What child care options are there?
Several school locations operate EXCEL child care programs. To learn more about EXCEL, click here.
- Early registration for current participants (Students enrolled in 2016-2017) in the Before and/or After school program will begin at 8 am on Monday, April 24, 2017.
- General registration for all new program applicants will begin on Monday, May 1, 2017 at 8 am.
- Watch the EXCEL webpages for updates on program fees and registration information in the month's to come. For further information regarding the EXCEL Child Care Program, click here.
Can I register my child in the school in my baby-sitter's area?
- All children must be registered in the neighbourhood school where they live. You may obtain an Out-of-Area Request form at your neighbourhood school to have your child attend a different school. Decisions on placement for September will be made during the last week of school in June.
When will I find out if my child will be able to attend an Out-of Area school?
- Parents will be notified of Out-of-Area Request decisions during the month of June.
Do I have to apply for Out-of-Area status every year?
- No. Once approved, the child is considered a student in the Out-of-Area school for subsequent years.
For additional information concerning registration, you can also contact the principal of your neighbourhood school.