Registration for 2017-2018 school year will take place during the month of february, 2017
Guardianship information, proof of address and citizenship, as well as educational records and/or documents are required at the time of registration. Check below for more information, specific to grade or program.
Welcome to Primary!
Check out our 2016-2017 Welcome to Primary booklet for everything you need to know about transitioning your child to school.
Click here to watch short video on registration.
Students will register for English programs at the school serving the area (neighbourhood) in which they reside. Students who live in an area of eligibility for Early French Immersion will register at the French Immersion designated school that serves their neighbourhood.
- A child must have reached his/her fifth birthday on or before December 31, 2017.
- Parents/guardians must present the child's proof of age (birth certificate, passport, Immigration papers or adoption papers), proof of residency (such as a current utility bill, lease agreement, etc.), health card number and expiry date at the time of registration.
- Each school will publicize its dates for primary orientation.
Early French Immersion Program (Grade Primary)
The Early French Immersion Program begins in Grade Primary and is guaranteed to students who live within areas of eligibility of the Halifax Regional School Board.
- For further information regarding eligibility, click here, access the Home Address Lookup located under "About our Schools" on this website, or contact the principal of your neighbourhood school.
Late French Immersion (Grade Seven)
The Late French Immersion Program begins in Grade 7 and is guaranteed to students who live within areas of eligibility of the Halifax Regional School Board.
- For further information regarding eligibility, click here, access the Home Address Lookup feature under "About our Schools" on this website, or contact the principal of your neighbourhood school.
Out of Area Requests
- Parents/guardians may seek placement for their child in a school outside of the neighbourhood in which they reside under the guidelines of the Student Registration Policy.
- Parents/guardians may obtain an Out-of-Area Request form at their child's neighbourhood school. Once completed, parents/guardians must forward the Out-of-Area Request form to the requested school on April 3, 2017 starting at 8:00 a.m.
- Alternatively, parents/guardians may complete the online Out-of-Area Request form at www.hrsb.ca beginning on April 3, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. The electronic submission is automatically sent to the receiving school. Instructions on completing the online option can be found here.
Early Learning Opportunities Program
- This program is offered at Harbour View, Joseph Howe, Nelson Whynder, Rockingstone Heights and South Woodside schools.
- Only children living within the boundaries of these schools, as well as St. Joseph's - A. McKay, may register for the program. Students living within the boundaries of St. Joseph's - A. McKay must register for the program at Joseph Howe.
- To be eligible, a child must have reached his/her fourth birthday on or before December 31, 2017. Out-of-Area requests do not apply for the Early Learning Opportunities program.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for answers to some Frequently Asked Questions
FORMS AND BROCHURES
French Program Information
To view information on our French programs, click here.
Children being registered for grade Primary must be 5 years of age on or before December 31, 2017 and parents/guardians must show a Birth Certificate verifying this to school personnel.