New Substitute & Term Teachers
New applicants must follow the steps below to be considered for substitute teaching:
New sub teachers will be activated and eligible to teach as soon as the required documents below are delivered to HRSB Central Office, 33 Spectacle Lake Drive. New substitutes will have the option to attend a New Substitute Teacher Information session which are offered throughout the school year.
1. Apply online to the competition number noted on the Substitute Teacher job posting. You are required to create and submit an online resume to apply. Please ensure the information on your resume is accurate and up to date as your qualifications will be reviewed.
2. Deliver in person the following documentation to Human Resource Services reception desk at 33 Spectacle Lake Drive in Dartmouth during the hours of 8:30 am to 4:00 pm (partial submissions will not be accepted):
- Two written references from individuals who have observed the quality of your teaching (i.e. cooperation teacher, principal or university supervisor/advisor)
- A copy of your valid Nova Scotia Teacher's License (number only will not be accepted). Should you hold a BTC (Bridging Certificate) teaching license, you will also need to provide the Teacher Evaluation Form which was provided to you from the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (EECD)
- An original or copy of original course transcripts from your University or College in support of your teaching license and BEd (downloaded copies from the internet will not be accepted)
- Void Cheque or Direct Deposit Form from your Banking Institution
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Check (completed within the last three months - obtained from your local Police/RCMP Department or at mybackcheck.com
- You must log onto the online New Employee Orientation to obtain access to the additional forms required Log into your myHRSB account and choose the "New Employee Orientation" link in the dropdown menu to the right of the page, then click on the "First Things First" link.
- Child Abuse Registry Form - Request for Search Form (available online in the New Employee Orientation Section) a copy of your Driver's License or Health Card must accompany this form
When all documentation has been collected and verified, we begin the process to activate you to Aesop, an automated substitute placement service provided by Frontline Placement Technologies which uses integrated internet and telephone technologies to assist School Administrators in the process of employing Substitute Teachers.
Once you have been activated, we will email your login information including your Aesop ID and PIN number. You will then be able to personalize your Aesop account by selecting your preferred schools and managing your call times and availability.
New Substitutes will also receive an email prior to the next New Substitute Teacher Information session to confirm whether or not they will be attending the session.
For information on AESOP (Substitute Placement System), click here
For Frequently Asked Questions, click here
NOTE: Candidates wishing to teach French must also complete a successful interview with the HRSB French Program Consultants who will assess the candidate's competency in French (oral and written). This is coordinated through the French Department. Book an appointment by phoning 902-464-2000, ext. 2627.