This Div is a JS Trigger


English Arabic French
English Arabic French

Transportation Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I find out my child's bus schedule information?

A: The information is distributed to the schools in June of each year. You can also check the schedule for your child's school at .

Q: How far do I have to live from the school to be eligible for school bus transportation?

A: Under the Education Act Regulations, students are transported if they live a distance greater than 3.6 km from the school. The HRCe provides busing for students in Grades Primary to 6 at a distance of 2.4 km.

Q: How is the eligibility determined?

A: Students are assigned to routes based on their transportation address information in PowerSchool. Eligibility for busing is determined from the student’s transportation address to the school property line.

Q: If my child does not meet the eligibility criteria noted above, is there any other way my child can travel on a Board operated school bus?

A: If there is room on a bus that travels to or from your child's school, it is possible to have this service extended to you. This is known as "Courtesy Seating." Courtesy seats may be allotted when there is space on the bus, after all eligible students are assigned. Routes are not altered for the purpose of providing courtesy seating.

Q: How can I make a request for courtesy seating?

A: Requests from parents/guardians for courtesy seating must be submitted to Stock Transportation at 902-481-8400. It is recommended that parents/guardians contact Stock Transportation annually to determine if there is a courtesy seat available for their child. Availability of space varies from year to year and could be discontinued at any time.

Q: Why can't the school bus pick my child up in front of our house?

A: Under the provincial Motor Carrier Act Regulations, the driver of a school bus shall not stop the bus for the purpose of taking on or discharging passengers at more than three places in 1.6 km (1 mile) or a place that has not been designated as a loading station by a school board or other authority by or on whose behalf the bus is operated.

Q: How do I arrange transportation for my child with special needs?

A: The school administration will complete a form requesting special transportation for your child. The form asks for detailed information relating to your child's needs. This information is then directed through Student Services in order to initiate transportation.

Q: If my child has transferred to another school through the Out-of-Area process, is transportation provided?

A: Transportation is not provided in this situation; it is the parent/guardians responsibility to transport their child to the school.

Q: If I have a question regarding transportation, who do I call?

A: Contact your local school or the Administrator, Student Transportation at the HRCE, at 902-464-2000 ext. 2871.